Monday, February 9, 2015

February 10, 2015--Beware



2 Corinthians 11:1-15

I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. Do bear with me! 2I feel a divine jealousy for you, for I promised you in marriage to one husband, to present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by its cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough.

5I think that I am not in the least inferior to these super-apostles. 6I may be untrained in speech, but not in knowledge; certainly in every way and in all things we have made this evident to you. 7Did I commit a sin by humbling myself so that you might be exalted, because I proclaimed God’s good news to you free of charge? 8I robbed other churches by accepting support from them in order to serve you. 9And when I was with you and was in need, I did not burden anyone, for my needs were supplied by the friends who came from Macedonia. So I refrained and will continue to refrain from burdening you in any way. 10As the truth of Christ is in me, this boast of mine will not be silenced in the regions of Achaia. 11And why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do! 12And what I do I will also continue to do, in order to deny an opportunity to those who want an opportunity to be recognized as our equals in what they boast about. 13For such boasters are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15So it is not strange if his ministers also disguise themselves as ministers of righteousness. Their end will match their deeds.
Paul has been defending his ministry.  In previous verses he is talking about being “timid” which is not necessarily a way that I have thought of Paul.   However, he does talk about how the followers of Christ live life different that those “of the world.”  

Paul is concerned about others deceiving us, like the serpent deceived Eve in the garden.  The challenge is that when we are being deceived there is generally some truth in what the deceiver is saying to us.  If they were speaking to us and what they say is so untrue, we would not believe.  However, the lie that includes some truth can deceive us.  We may submit to this readily, and even with this “little untruth” we submit to someone other than the Jesus who is proclaimed in the gospel.

Have you ever been deceived?  How did you know?

I am not making a blanket statement here—so don’t get too upset.  I sometimes watch the religious programs on TV (when I can’t find a reality show to watch! J )  I admit, sometimes I “like” the message, but I have to admit, it doesn’t always line up with what I know and understand about Jesus.  When someone preaches if we just believe more, send more money, and God will bless us with riches and happiness, I know this not to be true.  Yes, I do believe that God wants our faith deepened, and that giving is a discipleship practice that fosters trust, as well as the spreading of the gospel, but I know many who are not blessed with riches.  Many faithful have suffered—I think of Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr.  Jesus is not a do all I say and I will give you riches and all you want.  When that is preached it can be appealing, but not true! 

We have a God who instead realizes we are broken, and keeps calling us anyway.  God gives all of us another chance.  Our God is a God of grace, who ultimately meets us in the cross, in our suffering.  Yes, I do believe God desires what is best for us, but life generally isn’t all gold and roses. 

My prayer is that as we continue this journey of life, we will be attentive to those who preach a false gospel.  We will live lives in Christ, knowing that we are already blessed, and that we can find joy in the sorrow, for we have something more precious than gold and silver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment