Saturday, March 25, 2023

Faith and Convictions

 How do we share our faith? How do we share who we know and understand Jesus to be? 

This is what we have been talking about in our Sunday discussion and as we have read "We are Witnesses of These Things."  But how do we even begin. 

Often we struggle because at some time or another we will be asked when did you receive the Lord Jesus as your personal savior?  This is a hard question to answer.  Some of us might be able to recall a situation or experience when we really knew the presence of Jesus in our lives.  Some of us might answer with our baptism date, more so when God welcomed us and came to us rather than us going to Jesus.  Some of us have just always known, at least with a spark that Jesus was real.  

I grew up in the church.  There are experiences I remember.  But I can't give you a date.  I just have always sensed God's presence in my life.  I have questioned, wondered, strayed... but Jesus was always there--because my understanding is that Jesus comes to us, and that Jesus never leaves us.  Jesus calls me!

As I've thought about ways in which we might want to begin, it might be good to just start with some significant events in your life.  Some you won't remember--for instance, I don't remember my baptism.  I remember confirmation, but not always the exact date.  I recall moments, songs, sermons, relationships--all these bear understanding in my witness to Jesus.

I also wonder if it is helpful to think of what are our primary convictions of faith?  Do you have favorite passages of scripture and how do they speak to you?

For me, John 17 has an impact on how I understand Jesus, the Trinity, and our relationship with each other and the world.  In John 17, Jesus is praying for himself, then the disciples, and then those who will believe because of their witness.  Jesus prays for us!  And he prays specifically for unity, that we will be one as Jesus and the Father are one. One of my convictions in ministry is unity.  This is one reason why I am passionate in the open table at communion, in conversation with people who disagree but are still willing to converse, to realize that Jesus is for the whole world.

Micah 6:8--What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God.  This passage from the Old Testament prophet summarizes for me the life of Jesus and the life we are called to live as disciples.  Justice isn't a political ideal or left for the courtrooms.  Justice is a way of life when we live as a disciple of Jesus the Christ.  

1 John may be my favorite book in the Bible.  There are so many gems in this short book.  1 John 4:16b-21 summarizes well:  "God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them. Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness on the day of judgment, because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love. We love because he first loved us. Those who say, "I love God," and hate their brothers or sisters, are liars; for those who do not love a brother or sister whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. The commandment we have from him is this: those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also."

There is no fear in love.  We often think of hate as the opposite of love, but I do believe fear is the opposite. We struggle loving others because we do not know them, or we have preconceived notions or prejudices--all stemming from fear.  Naming our fears is a start. My experience is that as I confront my fears of "the other" I am able to love not only them, but experience the love of God even deeper.


What are your convictions of faith?  Are there Bible passages, phrases, stories that you go back to for comfort, inspiration, challenge?  


When we can articulate our faith, our conviction in Jesus, it is easier to share with others.  


1 comment:

  1. I too, like both of those versus. In the mid 70s a couple of Morman girls started coming to my mom's. She liked them a lot and wanted me to meet them. They are pretty sophisticated, with their flip charts and knowledge, then I started following along and noticed that much of it was out of context. That is when I started reading and studying the Bible. It wasn't long after that they pulled the girls and sent young men. They were to forceful for my mom so that ended it.

    ReplyDelete